Guest Post: Stephanie Chong with Dreams, Books, and Back to School

Hi, everyone.  Today I have author Stephanie Chong on for a guest post.  She's the author of the newly released Where Demons Fear to Tread (September 2011; MIRA), which is an adult paranormal romance (so there are sexy-times) about an angel who falls in love with a demon.  I loved the book - my review will be up tomorrow - and I'm happy to have her along with this wonderful post and some information about the book in question.


Dreams, Books and Back to School

Dreaming in Books has me thinking about those three things.

For me, they are intertwined.

Becoming an author was my dream from an early age. I started keeping a journal when I was seven years old. The journal had a picture of Peter Rabbit on the front. By the time I was nine, I knew with absolute certainty what I wanted to do with my life.

Write.

However, it took a while for me to accomplish that goal. I did five university degrees and practiced as a lawyer before publishing my first novel. I was in school forever. Did I love every minute of it? Hell, no. There were whole years where I felt like I was pulling out my own back teeth. The process of learning was sometimes painful and tedious.

Do I regret a second of it? Hell, no.

Unsolicited Advice for Aspiring Writers

Follow your dreams.

There are some enormously talented and successful writers who do not have college degrees. And who did not take writing classes.

And Mozart was performing for royalty by the time he was five years old.

For the rest of us, following our dreams involves a journey of learning. No moment of learning is ever wasted, no matter how difficult or frustrating it may seem. Learning how to write doesn’t have to be formal or expensive. Years before I did a master’s degree, I took night classes at a community college and attended weekend workshops in creative writing. Find a writer’s group. An online community. And read.

Dream a Little Dream

My first novel, Where Demons Fear to Tread, is the culmination of many years of dreaming.

The first time I ever saw the book in print was in New York at BookExpo America, which is a big, wonderful book convention. After my first signing, I snuck away into a corner of the crowded convention center and had a little moment with my new book. It was like holding a newborn baby in my hands.

My own little dream come true.

For those of you heading back to school, work hard. Find the things you’re passionate about. Hold onto them as tight as you can.

And keep on dreaming.

About the Author:




Stephanie worked as a lawyer at a top-tier Canadian firm and completed five university degrees before landing her dream job: romance novelist. Her degrees include a J.D. and a Ph.D. from the University of Toronto, and a Master’s in Creative Writing from Oxford University.
When she’s not writing, Stephanie enjoys yoga, traveling and outdoor adventures. She lives in Vancouver with her husband and their pug, Dexter.

Come hang out with her on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/StephanieCChong) or Twitter (http://twitter.com/StephanieCChong)! Visit her website at www.stephaniechong.com.  Watch the book trailer for Where Demons Fear to Tread on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykE14rDcX_8&feature=youtu.be)

Synopsis:

Fledgling guardian angel and yoga teacher Serena St. Clair dares enter Devil’s Paradise nightclub on a mission – to retrieve the wayward Hollywood “It Boy” she’s assigned to protect. But she’s ambushed by the club’s owner, Archdemon Julian Ascher. The most powerful demonic entity in Los Angeles, Julian is handsome as sin, a master of temptation who loves nothing more than corrupting pleasure-seeking humans. He won’t release the lost soul Serena is supposed to guard. Unless she accepts his dangerous wager…

After the disastrous way his human life ended, Julian vowed that no woman would get the better of him again. Yet this sexy-sweet angel, smelling of fresh ocean air and happiness, triggers centuries-old feelings. Now, their high-stakes game of seduction, where angels fall from grace and where demons fear to tread, will lead them either to an eternity in hell…or a deliciously hot heaven.

Note: Please be warned that Where Demons Fear to Tread deals with mature subject matter, including explicit sex. Readers under 18 should be aware of that before purchasing or reading it.

Another big thank-you to Stephanie for writing such a lovely post.  I hope some of you check it out, as it's one of those books that really caught me by surprise in how much I enjoyed it.  

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

2 comments:

DforDarla said...

Great writing advice!

I've seen this book around lately. I always love a book with sexy-times. Looking forward to your review.

кєяo said...

An insightful post. The word 'dream' always came to me as something which is not real, and never would be. I never tried to follow mine.